Saturday, March 31, 2007

Unanswered 10-4

1. What was your original reason/purpose for attending college?

2. What were the pressures you faced there as an Afrikan Woman growing into consciousness?

3. Where there any life lessons that you took away from the experience?

4. What advice would you give an Afrikan entering college today?

5. Did your "extra curricular" studies aid or hindering your collegiate experience?

6. Do you remember the moment when you realized that you where kinda on the outside looking in? Being out of the matrix so to speak. Can you share that feeling or experience.

7. What are some things that the youth can do to turn this revolution into resolution?

8. What are the top 3 things you wish older conscious people would stop saying/doing?

9. What are the top 3 things you wish older conscious people would start saying/doing?

10. Lastly, would your reason/purpose for going to be different if you were entering college today? (and tell why/what...)

1 comment:

vivacious vivian said...

1. I attended college to earn get an education and earn a better living, in order to help my mother, who was a maid working in white people houses in Cleveland, Mississippi.

2. Since I was attending a college, Tougaloo College, that was actively involved in African Education and Studies, I did not encounter those kind of pressures. I, along with the other studies were actively involved in civil rights and the Black Power Movement during 1971-72. The influence of the Black Power Movement really took effect in 1972. I had transferred to Mary Holmes College to pursue a business major to accomplish my goal of helping my mother. We stopped straightening our hair and wearing afros.

3. For the first time in my life, I was proud to be called black. Before the Black Power Movement, I was ashamed of my dark skin because I had often been called black, nappy headed, and ugly by my peers in school and in my neighbor-hood.

4. Don't settle for a lesser degree and don't forget to embrace or become involved in studies or activities that will empower you as an Afrikan.

5. Because I had the opportunity to have a spring internship in Afrikan Studies in 1972, I got actively involved with the civil rights activities, I lost interest in my other studies, except music, but I had the opportunity to observe Fannie Lou Hamor in Jackson, Mississippi and civil rights activists' trails in the Jackson, Mississippi court systems.

6. Because back then almost everybody was involved in the Civil Rights activities, especially Black college students, and Black Power Movement, I never experienced the outside looking in feeling.

7. Be open to gaining knowledge. Don't be affraid to stand up for your beliefs. Don't limit yourself. Don't settle.

8. I don't know.

9. I embrace my blackness. I am proud of my African ancestry. I love all my people, no matter what color their skin is or their educational level, or economic situation.

10. No. I do wish, though, that I had stayed in African Education and Studies and that I had gotten a degree above an AS. My thirst for knowledge was so great that I changed my major multiple times. I stayed at the Senior level so long that I just stop going to college.